Tuesday, August 5, 2014

My First Hand-Spun Yarn Project

Hello all!  I've got all my blue yarn spun and am now knitting it up into a scarf. I chose a pattern from The Knitting Stitch Bible by Maria Parry-Jones for it.  It's a lacy pattern called Traveling Tracks.


It's much easier to work with than I anticipated in spite of the big lumps!  The 'lumps' were made when I was first learning.  The yarn is starting to be more consistent and easier to work with.

I took a little stay-cation last week and finished up a few things, along with trying a couple new.  I experimented with dying yarn using food color.  I was using just the basic food coloring that you buy at the grocery store, white vinegar, and some cotton yarn.  The colors looked amazing on the yarn while it was setting but I guess I didn't let it set long enough because the beautiful blues, purples, greens, and teals that it was before I washed it turned into very soft baby blue, pink and pale green....and a lot more white than I expected.  It's still pretty and I think it will work up beautifully, but won't be the deep vibrant jewel-tones I was hoping for.  I left the yarn at home so I don't have a picture.  I'll take one when I get home and post it as an addendum.

My next venture will be to dye yarn using onion skins.  Hopefully it will be more fruitful.

FOLLOW UPS:  I finished knitting my lace project for the Craftsy class I enrolled in (see previous post).  I've got to block it and then I'll post a picture for you to see when it's all done.

I also finished the sweater I'd started on in the last post.  Well...it's almost finished.  I just have to attach the sleeves!  I'll post a picture of that as soon as I'm done with it as well.

Well...back to the grindstone.  Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment