Monday, January 9, 2012

Howdy all!

Hi and welcome to my very first blog!  Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure what all I will put out here, but I'm leaning towards posting craft stuff, such as what I'm currently working on, new tips and tricks I've learned, and stuff like that. 

So...let's get started!  Last night I finished knitting a couple shawls for the girls in the office.  The temperature in the office fluxuates so much that it's hard to know what to wear.  These shawls are nice for two reasons.  One - they are made of a cotton yarn so they are just the right amount of warmth for what we need and
Two - they have cuffs so they won't fall off your shoulders!!

Yes, I know what you're thinking...she made shrugs.  But they aren't .  There aren't sleeves...just cuffs.  The pattern is called Shoulderette.  It's a free pattern that I found at the Yarn Lover's Room.  It't s a great easy pattern for someone who's newer to knitting and wants to learn how to knit lace.  This is a simple beginning lace pattern, that is good for all skill levels.  The lace pattern looks like a 'V' when finished. 

I've made three of them so far.  And what I like best is that it is customizable!  I made the first two for people who would never see each other so it didn't matter that they were the same pattern, but for the third one, I got out my Knitting Lace book and found a lace pattern whose stitch count would work with the pattern and used it instead.  Since I still wanted that 'solid' feel to the lace, I picked a diamond pattern to make the third one.  I'll have to get the girls to model them for me and I'll post the picture for you to see.

So, now I'm working on a Sangiovese Stole for a friend.  I bought the pattern from Lost City Knits when they were at an art show I attended.  They have luxurious hand-dyed and natural fiber yarns and original lace designs.  I also bought the yarn for it from them - Oak Barn Merino in a beautiful purple.  I think the colorway is called Munstead in Bloom.  It's 100% merino lace yarn.  It has great texture (so soft!) and very easy to knit with.  I'm about 1/3 of the way finished with it.  This is the first big project I've ever done, so my main concern is "where am I going to block it at?"  When I say 'big' I mean the finished stole is 20x80 inches and I can't think of any place in my house that is 80 inches long that the dogs can't get to.  That's all I'd need is to block it, then come back later to see my Yorkies sleeping in the middle of it!  I'm sure by the time I get it finished, I'll have thought of something.

Well, that's it for now.  Have a great day and check back soon for updates to the Sangiovese Stole.

1 comment:

  1. Oooo - pretty stole! You'll have fun blogging...and we'll all have fun reading it!

    ReplyDelete