Friday, January 13, 2012

Stitch Counter Bracelet

Well...I finished the gifts for my friends.  And even though I've not given them to them yet, I'm pretty confident they won't be reading my blog before I do. 

I can't find the exact site where I saw the idea, but found two other sites that give you an idea of how they are put together.  You can choose which idea you like and run with it!  The first site is at eHow.com.  The bracelet instructions are here.  The other site gives you a different design with the same concept.  It's located at The Official Unofficial Magazine of the Crochet Liberation Front.  What a name, huh?  Their design is here.  There seem to be lots of places on the web with lots of different ways to make them.  Just do a search to see what you can find.  My creations are below.


I used magnetic clasps on mine.  And the one at the top has square beeds.  I don't recommend that.  It was sort of hard to move the marker over and between those beads.  Also, I saw a great detail on the Crochet site.  They added a charm to one end of their bracelet which helps you to remember which end you started your counting on.  Of the two sites, the crochet one is probably better.  It has pictures!

The bottom item in my picture is something I made to attach to a pair of embroidery or other scissors to make them easy to identify as yours as well as helping you to find them!  I didn't have any cell phone cords left so I made my own using the same cord used for the bracelets, cutting a strip the length I wanted, folding it in half and using one of the clamps, made the holder.  Then I just attached the beads and it was done!  To attach it to your scissors, you just slip the loop through one of the finger holes and draw the beads through the loop and pull to tighten.  I'm sure there are free instructions for those online as well but I didn't look for any.  I'd seen one at a friends house once and just used my imagination as to what to put on it.

The fun part of these items (and anything you create, really) is making them your own.  Looking at something and saying to yourself "That is a great idea but how can I make it 'mine'?"  Adding your personal touch is what makes it unique whether you change the color or the clasp or redesign the whole darn thing!  Take that bracelet for example.  It would be very simple to make that into a necklace just by making the cords longer or even keeping it as it is and just make a neck piece to attach to the bracelet.  That way you can wear it either way. 

Time to head back to the office.  If you have any questions about any of my creations, please do not hesitate to ask!  I'm always happy to help any way I can.

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment